Join me in a Self-Care journey EVERY Sunday. A large part of me starting this series is to re-ignite my self-care flame... just like everything in life, it is up to us to prioritize our actions & activities. My hope is to offer some inspiration and ideas to facilitate YOUR self-care practice.
Self Care Practice #1: Face mask
I've jumped into a new fitness routine this past month, of which includes a lot of high intensity training (HIIT). I am the type of person that sweats a lot & holds temperature in my face for multiple hours after working out! During the weeks that I hit fitness 4-5/wk, I often experience a Pitta imbalance (aka excess heat in the body). This manifests in various ways, such as: sustained redness in dace, breakouts, loose stools, quick to irritate, & hyperacidity (acid reflux).
This Mask of Magnaminty face mask from Lush has been my life savor.
The LAST type of mask I would want to apply is a heating mask; causing additional heat and probable skin irritation. Therefore, this cooling mask is a perfect choice, as it expels heat away form my face, which feels SO great.
Self Care Practice #2: Smoothie Smoothie
Anyone ever heard of the following theory: getting your nails 'done' or 'manicured' increases confidence, and productivity?
This is how I feel about a good, nutrient-rich smoothie. There is nothing that sets my day off right more than a delish smoothie.
Antioxidant Smoothie Recipe:
- 1 Banana (always the base for my smoothies...)
- 1.5 cups of Antioxidant Mix: black berries, strawberries, blueberries, spinach. (antioxidants are fabulous for protecting the body against free radicals: aka pollutants, toxins, etc)
- 2 tbsp Raw Unshelled Hemp Seeds (Omega 3&6, easily digestible protein. Vitamin E)
- 3 Dates (fiber, potassium, anti-inflammatory, regulates blood sugar, cognitive support)
- 2 tsp Gogi Berries ( contains 18 amino acids, 21 trace minerals, one of the highest sources of antioxidants, & more protein than whole wheat)
- 2 tsp Turmeric (strong anti-inflammatory)
- 1 tbsp Cocoa (detoxifying, supports agni/metabolism, balances hormones)
- 2 tsp Shredded Coconut (high in iron & zinc)
- 1.5 cups Coconut Water (alkalizing, helps with hyperacidity/heartburn)
- 1 tbsp Almond butter (high in calcium)
- Handful walnuts (GREAT for cognition & neuro-degenerative prevention)
Self Care Practice #3: Acupressure Pad + Roller
When I ask most people about how they feel about acupressure mats, the response is usually one of the two: "all day, errydayy!" or "wtf, that thing is the devil...".
At first, I was captain of the "wtf" crowd when it came this prickly torture devise; surely enough, after sticking with it for a few months, this puppy & I have developed quite the relationship.
I lay on my acupressure mat 3-4x each week, for at least 30 min before bed. I find that if you can make it past the 3 min mark, it is smooth sailing from there on out.
Why?! You may ask? I personally use this mat for low back relief.
See additional health benefits below:
- Relieves back and neck pain, muscular tension, aches and pains.
- Promotes relaxation and reduces stress.
- Improves sleep.
- Increases blood circulation.
- Increases energy levels and helps with fatigue.
- Improves digestion.