Extraordinarily Easy Stuffed Peppers
I can’t even begin to stress how easy, cheap, beautiful, and filling these radiant stuffed peppers are. I was immediately in love after throwing this together the other night.
They are officially my new go-to when cooking for friends, dinner parties, etc! Don’t forget to read below the ingredients section for additional specifications according to your dosha.
This recipe is vegan and gluten free; however, do not hesitate to tweak the recipe to best suit your taste!
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 30 hr
Total: 40 min
Author: Marina Zahran (Do Good, Be Well.)
Yield: 12 halves (10-12 ppl)
6 Bell peppers (assortment of colors)
1 cup of parsley
1 ear of Corn
1 onion (medium/large)
5-10 cloves of garlic (adjust according to preference)
3 small tomatoes
1 large carrot
2 cups of Rice (I chose white Basmati Rice)
1 can of chickpeas
1/2 tsp Turmeric
1/2 tsp coriander
1 tsp paprika
1/3 tsp ground mustard seed
3 tbsp nutritional yeast
2 tbsp tapioca flour (or arrowroot flour)
Olive Oil for frying
1 cup of coconut milk
Vata Pitta Kapha Considerations
Vata: use 1-2 tbsp of oil when sautéing your veggies. If you do not have olive oil, sesame oil is a great substitute. Consider adding sweet potato.
Pitta: Cook with coconut oil instead of olive oil. Add 1/2 tsp of coriander to the vegetables.
Kapha: Cook with mustard seed oil or coconut oil instead of olive oil. Add a dash of cayenne pepper into the cheese mix and the vegetables.
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly oil a sheet pan. Cut bell peppers in half. Bake peppers in oven for 30 minutes.
2. Add 2 cups of rice with 4 cups of water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, and then add lid and bring heat to low. Cook for ~20 min until rice is fluffy and water is absorbed.
3. Chop up all vegetables (I suggest shredding carrots and adding them in at the very end). Oil pan and sauté veggies for ~7 minutes. When cooked to you preference, turn off heat and add carrot shavings.
4. Chop up parsley and add to finished rise. Mix the rice.
5. Remove peppers from oven. Add one generous tablespoon of rice to each pepper.
6. Add one generous tablespoon of sautéed veggies to the peppers.
Vegan Cheese Instructions
1. Add nutritional yeast, tapioca flour, and coconut milk into saucepan. Bring to low heat and whisk consistently until texture is smooth.
2. If the contents are too sticky, add up to an additional cup of coconut milk.
3. When finished, top off the peppers with the cheese. If you wait until the cheese cools, it will harden and be difficult to use.
4. Top it off with a drizzle of paprika.